To keep and maintain a healthy hair, proper shampooing must be done to get rid of dirt, oils and even lice while conditioning will keep the hair soft, untangled, strong and moisturized.
First and foremost, you need to know the type of your hair so you can make a decision on what type of shampoo you need. There are a lot of different types and brands of shampoos in the market to choose from – shampoo for dry, oily, normal, damaged or colored hair.
Second, look for a good quality shampoo that will bring out the result you want like if you want a smooth and silky hair, volume, shine and more. Don’t be deceived by expensive brands, for they are not always better as per experienced. It will be wise to read the labels and compare ingredients. Conditioner on the other hand offer several options such as deep or repair conditioning, rinse out, leave-in and for daily use. If your hair is dry, opt for a moisturizing conditioner or if your hair is limp try a rinse out conditioner.
Here’s a simple guide on the right way to shampoo hair.
- Comb or brush your hair to prevent tangling before wetting.
- Saturate hair and scalp with warm water, then apply an ample amount of shampoo to your palm, amount of shampoo will depend on hair length, start shampooing on the scalp and roots gently massaging down to the ends of the hair.
- Run fingers through your hair to make sure that the shampoo is evenly distributed especially if you have a thick hair.
- Rinse thoroughly, remember that hair is fragile when wet, squeezing can bring damage to your hair. A clean hair is lighter to feel after rinsing.
- Apply sufficient amount of conditioner after rinsing, allow it stand for several minutes before rinsing out. Over conditioning can cause your hair to be limp and dull. Deep conditioning may require longer application time, using a shower cap while you wait can boost its effectiveness.
- Use wide tooth comb for combing wet hair when finished.
Moreover, here are tips on hair care.
- Washing an oily hair daily is recommended by hair experts.
- Normal hair can be washed daily or twice a week depending on your activities and lifestyle.
- If your hair is oily on the scalp but dry along the outer length, condition the dry ends avoiding the scalp area.
- Prevent further damage for colored or dyed hair by washing it every few days.
- Bear in mind that applying too much gel, hair spray or mousse will defeat the purpose of shampooing and conditioning.
A routine of hair shampooing and conditioning will make your hair healthy and manageable 🙂